How to make Dahi or Curd at Home, Homemade Curd Recipe4:08:00 AM
I prepare homemade curd nearly everyday, not only it’s easy - it taste's good too.
Summers are the best time to have curd (yogurt) just plain or sweetened or in kadhi, lassi, or a simple raita.
Yogurt based dishes are cooling and ideal for summers. I learn this process from my mom, she usually prepare homemade curd in this way only.
This is pure homemade style curd no preservatives included, I always prefer to prepare homemade curd as compare to buy it from market one.
You can made popular recipes made from curd are raita's, sweet mango lassi, chaas, salted cucumber lassi , vegetable raita and many more.
Let's start to make this easy and quick recipe with simple step-by-step process with photos. \
Important Notes :
- Do not add dahi in hot milk, if its very hot the milk gets coagulates and you might end up getting a grainy curd.
- Using sour starter will yield a sour curd or dahi
- If you stay in a cold place or have cold temperatures, then cover the bowl or pan in which the curd mixture is with a warm towel or warm blanket and keep it in a warm place in your kitchen.
- In summers the curd will be set faster than in the winters. so keep an eye as we are in the peak of summers in India now…
Full fat milk - 1 litre
Leftover curd/yogurt/dahi - 1 tsp
Preparation Method :
1. Keep the milk to boil, let the milk come to a boil, simmer for a minute or two and then close the burner.
2. Cool the milk at room temperature till it becomes warm, Immerse your finger and check.
3. I have used the different pan to make curd, add a teaspoon of curd (yogurt) culture to the milk and mix well.
Repeat the above same step for 2 times. So the milk and curd mixed well.
(this below pic for those who stays in a cold temperatures, then cover the bowl or pan in which the curd mixture is with a warm towel or warm blanket and keep it in a warm place in your kitchen. In Bangalore, the night temp. is always cold, I am preparing homemade curd in this process only.)
5. So now you have a nice well thick-creamy homemade curd. Keep it in a fridge to cool it.
Happy Cooking and Enjoy !!