The Jaggery cake recipe is based on our 11th Foodie Monday BlogHop, interesting theme is #AlphabetFood, means my name is Jolly and my first word is "J" so i need to take an ingredients that starts from J, so I choose Jaggery and but confused what to make which is healthy as well as tasty. :D
So I decided to bake a cake using with jaggery instead of sugar and take another twist in baking to used whole wheat flour not maida.
Not only it tastes delicious but looks so good that no other decoration is needed and this makes it perfect for any occasion or family gatherings. This is a fabulous cake recipe.
Jaggery cake is a well risen cake and best thing about this cake is made with very simple ingredients, which is easily available in our kitchen. This cake recipe is basically from Srilanka only, there people bake a cake using jaggery with wheat flour or either sooji(semolina).
A simple and easy recipe of eggless "Whole Wheat Jaggery Cake". The texture of the cake is soft and moist.....
But it’s really easy to make. Everybody loves it, probably it's the best jaggery cake I've ever made so far.
Baking a cake is always a pleasure experience for me.
How many of you have seen your grandparents and folks having jaggery after every meal! I saw and Do you know why do they eat it and prescribe it to others too? There are various purposes for it.
There are multitudinous medical advantages of jaggery(gur). It is a crude sweet or sweetening specialists as well as a great solution for some infections.
Health Benefits of Jaggery
- Jaggery is a great remedy for anemia, asthma, joint pains and menstrual pains.
- It also aids in digestion, purifies blood and keeps the skin away from problems such as acnes and pimples.
- It is a great energy booster as it provides us lots of energy.
You can make end number of cake which I have tried and tested like
whole wheat eggless chocolate cake,
rainbow swirl cake,
chocolate biscuit cake,
Orange Chiffon cake,
vanilla-chocolate swirled marble cake,
A soft and light cake. Let's start step by step vegan jaggery cake recipe with step by step photos.
Wheat Flour - 1.5 cups
Jaggery - 3/4 cup - Powdered (You can use 1 cup for more sweetness)
Baking Powder - 2 tsp
Table Salt - A very small pinch
Cashew Nuts - 1 tbsp
Raisins - 1/2 tbsp Water - 1 cup (Use milk for a non - vegan version)
Vegetable Oil - 7 tbsp
Vanilla essence - 1 tsp
7 inch round cake tin
Vegetable Oil - 1/2 tsp (For greasing the cake tin)
Wheat Flour - 1 tsp (For dusting the cake tin)
Preparation Method :
1. Grease a cake tin with little bit oil evenly on the base and edges of the tin and also dust the inside of the tin with a little flour to help the cake can come outside smoothly from cake tin and not burn also.
2. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C / 350°F for 10 minutes.
3. Dissolve jaggery in water and strain the liquid through a sieve. Mix in the vanilla extract. Keep it aside.
4. Sift Wheat flour, salt, baking powder through a sieve at least 2 times.
5. Once sifted, mix all the dry ingredients thoroughly using a spoon. This is just to ensure the salt, baking powder are evenly distributed through the wheat flour.
6. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the water, jaggery and vanilla essence, that was prepared in step 3.
7. Gently bind the ingredients with a spoon. Please don't use any whisk or beater for this. Over beating will make your cake very dense and heavy.
8. Next add in the oil. Again combine the mixture gently. The batter might form a few clumps.
9. Pour this batter into the prepared cake tin. Tap the cake tin on the counter to ensure the batter levels out. I added cashew nuts and raisins on top of the batter as a flower design.
10. Put this into the pre-heated oven and bake at 180°C / 350°F for 20-25 minutes or bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean...
(The baking time depends on the oven. Mine took just 24 minutes to bake. So you need to start keeping an eye on the cake after 15 minutes.)
11. After the baking time is over, allow the cake to cool down completely.
12. You can cut and serve this cake with tea or coffee.
The recipe idea is taken from here TarlaDalal
Happy Cooking and Enjoy :)