Curries & Lentils
Punjabi Kadhi Pakora Recipe, How to make Kadhi Pakoda Recipe | Indian Yogurt Gramflour Curry4:46:00 AM
How to make Kadhi Pakora recipe with step by step photos -Kadhi pakoda or kadi pakora is a traditional and authentic dish when you were looking for some Indian comfort food. Punjabi kadhi is a Indian yogurt based gram-flour curry with onion fritters and seasoned with spices and usually served with rice.
Again this is my mother recipe of making traditional Punjabi kadhi with pakodas, she has been making this kadhi since ages.Very easy and simple recipe to follow. “Kadi Chawal” is a delicacy loved by all because of its tangy taste.
Each state has its own versions of kadhi, there is Sindhi kadhi, Rajasthani Kadhi, Punjabi kadhi and so on.
Below is the recipe of authentic Punjabi Kadi pakoda which is basically with fried onion fritters (pakodas) soaked in a curd and besan or gram flour sauce (kadhi), tempered with light and mild spices.
The Punjabi kadhi is different from other regional kadhi dish because it is more thicker and creamier also. It is best accompaniment with rice, roti and paratha.
I just love kadhi pakoda with rice. This is one of the famous authentic dish but now-a-days its famous around India. I just love to eat kadhi with boiled rice and you can also have it with lachha plain paratha.
For this recipe of kadhi pakora, I have prepared the pakoras with only onion.
However, if you prefer you can also make pakora without onion or make mixed vegetables fritter as well or if you are feeling lazy to prepare pakoras, you can totally skip it...rest of the recipe is same
but I love pakoda with kadi, simple plain kadi I usually not preferred. It's totally depend on your choice.
I have used sour curd, if you don't have sour curd at your home you can used fresh buttermilk, it gives the proper tanginess to the curry.
You can even try end number of punjabi recipes like
punjabi chole masala
Moong-masoor dal khichdi
punjabi lobia masala
Learn how to make Punjabi kadhi pakoda by following this easy step by step process with images.
Preparation time : 40 mins
Cook time : 30 mins
Total time : 70 mins
Cuisine : Punjabi, North-Indian
Course : Main course
Servings : 6 to 7 people
For Onion pakoda's/fritters:
Besan/gram flour - 2 cups
Sliced Onions - 4 medium sized
Ajwain / Carrom seeds - 1 tsp
Red chili powder - 1/2 tbsp, you can adjust the spices according to your taste also
Pinch of Turmeric powder/haldi
Garam Masala powder - 1/2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Water as required to make thick batter for pakode
**Tip** You can make plain pakode's also without adding anything on the above gram flour batter. This is onion pakoda recipe. I can make pakoda in both ways plain sometimes onion pakoda !!
For the curd sauce/kadhi:
Sour curd or you can use buttermilk/matha also for making kadhi - 1/2 litre
Besan/gram flour - 1 cup or less
Red chili powder - 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder - 1.5 tbsp
Garam masala powder - 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
For the tempering/tadka:
Chopped sliced Onion - 2 medium sized
Cumin seeds/Jeera - 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tbsp
Methi dana/fenugreek seeds - 1/2 tbsp
Curry leaves - 8-10 nos
Dry red chilies- 1-2 (optional)
Pinch of hing
Preparation Method :
Preparing the Onion Pakoda's:
1. In a bowl, add gram flour/besan with carom seeds, red chili powder, pinch of haldi, garam masala powder and salt.
2. Pour a little water, mix it very well, make a thick batter and keep it aside for some 10-15 minutes, check the salt and spices, and add more if required.
Note : If you're making onion pakode, then don't add too much water as the onions will release water later.
3. Add sliced onions into it and mix well.
4. Heat oil in a kadai and deep fry the pakoda's.
Using with spoon or hand, take the batter & pour the batter in a kadai(very carefully if you are using your hand)
Fry the pakoda's till they crisp and browned.
5. Drain on kitchen paper napkins or tissue paper. Keep the pakoda's aside.
Preparing the curd/yogurt curry batter:
1. In a big bowl, take the curd, whip it with spatula well to make it smooth and add the gram flour/besan
and add all spices mentioned in above ingredients - turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala powder and salt. Pour water, mix the contents well and make sure there are no lumps. Can you see the flour lump that means i have to dissolve the lumps well.
2. Use a spoon to dissolve the lumps into the curd.
3. Now take a large deep pan, I used pressure cooker, heat vegetable oil, add cumin seeds, methi seeds, mustard seeds and let them sizzle. Now add dry red chilies and curry leaves !!
4. Add chopped sliced onions and inch of hing...cook it till transparent !!
5. Now pour liquid gram-flour +curd mixture into above tadka. Mix well.
6. Now bring the whole kadhi to a boil first in a high medium flame and..
7. Then reduce the flame in medium heat and simmer for 8-10 minutes. So the punjabi kadhi is ready.
8. Add the fried pakoda's to the hot kadhi. Cover and close the pan. Let the onion pakoda's be soaked in the kadhi for some minutes.
Tip** You can add pakode's before 15 min at the time of eating otherwise pakode's will more soak the curry.
9. Serve the punjabi kadhi pakora with warm rice, roti, paratha.
You can Pin this recipe for later use.....
Happy Cooking & Enjoy !!