Curries & Lentils
Maa Chole Di Dal Recipe | Punjabi Maa Choleyan Ki Dal Recipe12:01:00 PM
Maa Chole di dal is our staple dal in my grandfather's family. Maa chole di dal is a punjabi dish made with a combination of two dals. The dals mainly used are split black urad dal and Chana dal (yellow gram).
This is creamy and comfort Punjabi dal recipe. This is also called Langarwali dal (served in a Gurudwara, this dal served there have a slight thick consistency) and Dal Amritsari also. Some people will called this dhabe wali dal also.
First time, when I heard the name of dal, we all cousin's are laughing that maa di dal why not papa di dal made :D ;) . I have learn this dal from my mom, she prepares very well and too yummy...This is my and my family favorite dish so I am sharing here. It's a popular North Indian dish.
I have learn to make this dal from my cook mentor "My Mom" , who has been making this way for many years. This is a family favorite dish because it's a smooth dal with a creamy texture from the black gram and a subtle nutty sweetness from the chana dal.
This is very popular Punjabi dal in India, very easy and tasty recipe too. If you are looking for more dal recipes then do check
moong-masoor di dal
sambar (toor) dal
Let's start to make this easy and quick recipe with simple step-by-step process with pictures.
Split black urad dal - 1/2 cup
Chana dal - 1/2 cup
Finely Chopped Onion - 1 no (large sized)
Chopped Tomato - 2 no (small sized)
Finely grated Ginger (little bit)
Garlic cloves - 3-4 nos finely chopped
Finely chopped green chillies - 1 no
Cumin seeds / Jeera - 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala Powder - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Chopped Coriander leaves for Garnish
Desi Ghee / Oil - 2 tbsp
Preparation Method :
1. Combine both the dal together and wash them till water runs clear and drain the water and soak them for half an hour..
2. For Tempering / Tadka
Step by step process :
(1) In a pressure cooker, add desi ghee (or you take oil but Desi-ghee gives you the full desi aroma of dal ) and add jeera (2) add chopped onions, green chillies, ginger and garlic, cook it about 2 minutes till onion becomes transparent and soft. (3) Add the chopped tomatoes, (4) salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and saute for another 2 minutes, fry till the tomatoes become soft and mushy, (5) your tadka is ready, as shown in below picture
3. Once tadka is cooked well, drain the dals and add them. Stir well. Add about 3 cups of water and cover the lid, Keep 1 whistle – on high flame and reduce the flame on a low heat and keep it for 10 minutes again on a low flame.
4. When the pressure settles down on its own, check the consistency of dal, let the dal simmer on low heat for 5-10 minutes till thick.
5. Lastly add garam masala powder. check the seasoning and add more of the spice powders, salt ( if required) and chopped coriander leaves.