Tinday ki Sabzi Recipe, How to make Punjabi style Dry Tinda ki Subzi | Baby Round Gourd Veggie7:00:00 AM
Tinda ki Subzi Recipe with step by step photos - This is purely punjabi style dry tinda ki sabzi that my mom made most of the times at home, I learned it from her. This is a simple and easy vegan Indian style recipe of tinda(baby round-gourd) which is cooked in an onion-tomato masala. It is a popular summer vegetable of India.
Tinda or Tinday is also named as Indian baby pumpkin or baby round gourd is a vegetable that is cooked in almost every Indian homes but with different style. The appearance of tinda is not good, so many people not relish it. I have to admit that as a kid I too was in the same boat :D never liked this veggie.
It has a mild taste, very similar to bottle gourd/lauki or tauri. Though it is a popular Punjabi dish but there are many different versions of making it across North India.
It can be made with full tinda stuffed with Indian masala and added in an creamy onion-tomato gravy, or you can cut it into a 4 pieces and added into curry or you can prepare this way which I was sharing with you.
As for the healthy concern, this vegetable is rich in protein, iron, calcium and low in calories. This is a good choice for diabetic patients and diet conscious. This is really such a cozy and comfort food.
The quality of the Tinday you buy is extremely important! You must buy round gourd that are not too big, it's shape like apple so this is also called apple gourd, If their outer skin is smooth, they are overripe, tough and full of seeds, no point bothering with them!
Tinda - 3 to 4 nos
Finely chopped Onions - 3 no (medium sized), If it's large take 2 onion
Finely chopped Tomatoes - 2 no (large sized), if it's small in size take 3 tomatoes
Ginger-garlic paste - 1/8 tsp (if paste is not there, you can chopped ginger and garlic add in to the veggie)
Chopped Green chilli - 1 to 2 nos
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder - 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder - 1/4 tsp
Garam masala - 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil - 2 tbsp
Fresh chopped coriander leaves for garnish
Preparation Method :
1. Gently scrape the outer skin (do not peal) with a knife. Wash and cut into half into half and slice length ways.
2. Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a kadai/wok/pan, add tinda and shallow fry them for 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and keep it aside.
3. In the same kadai, add finely chopped onions and fry till translucent. Add ginger-garlic paste and cook till the raw smell of ginger-garlic went.
4. Add chopped green chillies into it, add roughly chopped tomatoes into it and
add all Indian spices salt, red chilli powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder. Cook till tomatoes become mushy or soft.
5. Now add shallow fried Tinday with half cup of water and check the seasoning, if anything is less you can add this time. Cover with lid and simmer for 7 to 8 minutes till water dries up.
6. Lastly add garam masala in to it, mix well and switch off the flame. Your simple and easy Tinday ki sabzi is ready for your lunch or dinner menu, garnished with coriander leaves.
7. Serve hot tinda ki sabzi with roti, pickle and onion, green chillies as a side salad.
Happy Cooking & Enjoy !!