How To Make Homemade Idli / Dosa Batter10:08:00 AM
Idli's are rice and lentil steamed cakes and Dosa's thin lentil and rice crepe called dosa is an all time favorite "South Indian" snack savored all over the world. Children love this lentil crepe and make a very filling and healthy meal. You can make it like a "Veggie Pancake" , by adding your desired vegetable as a toppings to make it an Uttapam.
Raw Rice - 5 cups
Black gram (Split Urad dal with skin ) - 1/2 cup
Cooked Rice - fistful
Fenugreek seeds - 1 tbsp
Salt - As required
Preparation Method :
1. Soak the rice for 6 hours with the fenugreek seeds.
2. Soak the dal for 2 hours. Wash and remove as much skin as you can.
3. Grind Urad dal first with minimum water till it fluffs up in the grinder.
4. Remove the batter into a tall vessel.
5. Now grind the rice with a fistful of cooked rice with minimum water sprinkling little bit of water as and when necessary
Note :- The batter should not be too fine. Remove when its a little bit coarse.
6. Remove onto a tall vessel and mix the batter thoroughly and add required salt.
7. Let the batter ferment overnight in a warm place.
8. You can make wonderful soft Idli's and also golden dosa's for this.
Cooking Tips :-
a. If you want crispy dosa then spread the batter thinly on the tawa and turn it over and cook the other side also till golden on both the sides.
b. Do not add more water to the batter while making dosa's; Even to make dosa's.
c. Batter will not ferment well if no salt is added or if the surrounding is not warm enough.
Happy Cooking and Enjoy :)