How to make Punjabi Black Chickpeas Curry Recipe
Kala Chana Recipe, How to make Punjabi Black Chickpeas Curry Recipe7:24:00 AM
This is a thin curry dish like consistency and is not thick or creamy, is a perfect accompaniment with jeera rice , lachha paratha or chapati also.
While making chana recipes, always soak the chickpeas overnight to soften them. Black chickpeas are a rich source of protein and is excellent for growing up kids and people who are into sports or need lots of energy. This is good food for them.
This is my mother recipe. She prepares very well and too yummy...This is my and my family favorite dish. It's a popular North Indian dish.
We Punjabi's prepare this kala chana especially on Saturday's either on lunch or dinner, whenever we all sisters demanded for black chole-chawal to my mother, she said we prepared kala chana on saturday only :D I don't no behind the story of making black chole on saturday :D :P
Punjabi - North Indian
10 minutes + Soaking Time
Black Chickpeas/Kala Chana - 1 Cup
Roughly chopped Onion - 2 large
Roughly chopped Tomato - 2 Large + 1 small
Baking soda- a pinch
Ginger-Garlic Paste - 1 tsp
Red Chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
Salt - To Taste
Oil - 3 tbsp
Fresh chopped Coriander Leaves - 2 tbsp (for garnishing)
For the masala :
Onion, chopped - 2 nos
Medium size tomatoes, chopped - 3-4 nos
Ginger-garlic paste - 1tsp
Green chillies - 2 nos (slit or julienned) [optional]
1. Wash and soak kala channa over night, keep soaked kala chana in fridge.
next day, pressure cook it with little salt, adding a pinch of baking soda and 4 cups of water to the pressure cooker, Close the cooker. As it starts steaming, turn down the heat to low flame and cook for approx. 25 to 30 min.
2. Turn off the heat and wait until all the steam has released before opening the pressure cooker. In another bowl, take boiled chickpeas and water from cooker and keep it aside. Don't throw the water we'll use this chole water later in curry process.
3. For making masala - In a mixer grinder, add finely chopped onion, tomatoes, ginger-garlic paste and green chillies(optional), grind it and make a thick paste, add 1 tbsp of water(if it is required).
4. Heat oil in a cooker, add the above onion-tomato masala.
5. Add all above Indian spices except garam masala like chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, salt and mix well, saute for a minute.
Mix well, cook masala on a low flame until oil separates.
6. Add cooked chana along with water, salt and bring it to boil.
7. Add garam masala, 1 tbsp of chopped coriander leaves and simmer for 10 minutes or until gravy thick.
8. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve. As you can see we had it with rice, chapati along with some salad on side.
Happy Cooking & Enjoy :)