Bharwa Karele | Stuffed Masala Bittergourd9:10:00 AM
I learn this recipe of Stuffed bharwa karela from my mother. This is traditional and authentic bharwa karela recipe. Bittergourd pieces saute with onion and other ingredients and fried crisp.
Bittergourd is a natural blood purifier and has numerous benefits. Friends, try out this wonderful recipe of bharwa karele. It is incredible easy and tasty dish.
Bittergourd/Karela - 500 gms
Dry Mango Powder
Red Chilli powder
Garam Masala powder
Salt to taste
Chopped Onions - 2 nos
Chopped Coriander Leaves for garnish
1. First make masala for bittergourd stuffing- Take a bowl, add salt to taste, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, dry mango powder, little bit of garam masala powder and Mix it well. Keep it aside.
2. Peel the skin of Karela/bittergourd and Make a cut on each karela vertically keeping the base intact. Remove the pith and seeds with your hands.
3. Apply or rub salt over the karela and keep aside for 4-5 hrs. (keep in a fridge)
4. After hours, take them bittergourd from fridge and put it in a room temperature for few minutes, throw away the juices with the help of your palm and rinse the gourds well. Wipe them dry.
5. Stuff the karela with the dry masala mix with a spoon. Stuff well and tighten the stuffed karela with a clean thread. Wrung the thread all around.
6. Heat oil in kadai/pan and fry the karela on a low flame till they get browned and cooked well.
7. Add the onions and the remaining dry masala/ spices powder into it and mix it well with karele. (The leftover spice powder is added towards the end, so that they don’t burn.)
8. While serving bharwan karele remove the threads and add chopped coriander leaves.
9. Serve the masala bharwan karela with chapatis/roti with dahi or raita. They also make a good side dish with Yellow dal.